Friday, October 2, 2009

Sleep

I have been thinking a lot about sleep lately. Through so many stages of your life, sleep evades you for different reasons. When you have that newborn bundle of joy, sleep is definitely in short supply. You get through most days bleary eyed and more than feeling a little numb. My poor daughter has had three kids in five years and she cannot remember what a full night's sleep even feels like. I remember putting my head on the pillow one night when my babies were tiny and a big alligator tear escaping down my cheek. "What's wrong?", asked my husband. "I am NEVER going to feel well rested again!," I sobbed.
As they grew up, little by little sleep returns to normal...until they get their driver's license. I always said I could not fall asleep until all the chicks were in the nest. That was the time when my idea of a late night was 10:00pm and their idea of an early night was leaving for the movies at 10:00pm! Quiet as they might have tried to be, I heard them come in every time!
Now my "babies" are grown ups and on their own. Sleep should be easy to come by, right? HA! Enter menopause! I can't remember the last time I slept through the whole night. I wake out of a sound sleep, sometimes boiling hot, throw off the covers and try to settle back down. Later, I get cold because the covers are off and being chilled wakes me again! And some nights, this pattern repeats itself again and again.
Hmmm, maybe old, menopausal grammies should be taking care of new babies---they are both up off and on all night!!! Now that's a thought...
Sleep well tonight & don't forget to appreciate it!

1 comment: