Monday, October 26, 2009

Holiday Madness

Someone sent me this cartoon today and I laughed out loud. Anyone who has been in my house knows that all holidays get recognized in a big way with decorations every where. Right now we are full of Halloween spirit with pumpkins, ghosts, and witches galore! Soon, the jack-o-lanterns will disappear and turkeys will take their place. The day after Thanksgiving, I begin the three day long adventure of decorating for Christmas. Yes, it really takes me three days to get it all set up. A few years ago, someone said to me, "I am so sick of decorating for Christmas." I replied, "I have one word for you - GRANDCHILDREN!" Seeing everything through their eyes makes it all new again. Their wonder and joy rekindles your own wonder and joy. It is worth all the time and energy it takes to put it all out.
Maybe that is the answer for so many of life's situations. As we grow older, we tend to become weary or disenchanted or just plain tired. If we take the approach of little children, small things become big amazements for them. Children don't see the dandelion as a weed; they see it as a flower. They rush into each day with the expectation that it will bring fun and laughter. And, guess what? It usually does!

1 comment: