Sunday, October 4, 2009

Running

I have been asked by several people over the last few months, "Why did you start running?" I wish I knew the answer, but I really don't.
I have always hated things I am not good at right away & I have always hated athletics. I don't even like to go and watch any kind of sporting event unless someone I know personally is playing. I go for the food!
Last February, I got it in my head to try running a 5K. Up until that point my "running" experience included a slow jog on my treadmill now & then at best. I asked my son-in-law if he would be interested in doing one with me. He, very enthusiastically, said yes! We mapped out a 3.1 track around our houses and started training at 5:30am 2 or 3 mornings a week. In the beginning, I could only run a little and walk the rest. I felt like my lungs were going to explode! I hated it! Why did I start this?? I am not a quitter so I had to see it through to the first race.
March 22, 2009, we ran our first 5K together. It was pouring rain, my hip hurt terribly, BUT I finished!!! I felt so proud of myself.
Since then, I have run in five more races, some with Sean & some without. I run outside, in the early morning, 3 or 4 times a week. When his schedule allows, he runs with me, otherwise I run alone. It is my favorite time of the day. It is cool and peaceful and I just run & think. It has become something of a obsession. If I skip a couple of days, I get edgy to go run. When I am driving my car and I see someone running, I long to be out there running as well. WHO KNEW?!?! If someone had told me a year ago that I'd be running 5Ks, I would have told them they don't know me very well & that is a crazy idea.
This brings up a good point. How well do we know ourselves? So often early labels stick with us our whole lives. I was always "the smart one", not the athlete. Maybe we don't change those early labels that make up who we are, but we can ADD a label or two, can't we?
Maybe you can teach an old dog (or an old grammie) new tricks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment