Sunday, October 25, 2009

One Word

A few months back, my husband and I were out for dinner and he was describing someone he works with occasionally and he used just one word. I then made the mistake of asking him what one word would he use to describe me. After almost 35 years of marriage, I should know better. My husband is VERY smart, but he does not like to be forced to answer anything quickly. He likes to ponder things, weigh his options and then make decisions. I, on the other hand, like to "pull the trigger quickly". I ended up getting totally angry with him that he could not come up with "my" word and we ended up finishing dinner in silence.
I related this story to my daughter and she said, "I know your word, mom. Your word is "determined".. Ah, I love that girl. I also told this story to Aunt Cathy, and, she immediately responded, "Your word is "generous". See, women are attuned to these games and they can jump right in and play!
A week later, on our anniversary, my husband gave me a card. As I opened it, he said, your "word" is on there. I thought he had long forgotten my silly question and was surprised when I read it: To My "Amazing" Wife.... He may not have responded when I wanted him to to, but I have to admit, it was worth the wait.
So, what's the one word you would use to describe the people in your life? Maybe you should tell them their word....

2 comments:

  1. OMG I just found your blog---didn't know you were so 2009ish---too cool for me---loved your one word story!
    If I were to use one word to describe you it would be INSPIRING!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kept reading --now to the right---sleep when you're dead----bon jove--"Live while I'm alive, sleep when I'm dead"---a great song for you to listen to!
    JoEllen

    ReplyDelete