Friday, June 29, 2012

Garden Glory


"Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes."  ~Author Unknown
I admit to being a city girl, but many years ago, my father-in-law got me started on planting a garden. My coupon loving, thrifty side gets so excited to see what a $1.50 packet of seeds can produce. Admittedly, my husband does the largest share of the work in the garden, from preparing the soil in spring, pulling the weeds, planting the seeds, and faithfully watering it daily. I, on the other hand, get to swoop down as it begins to give its largess and, like the queen surveying her kingdom,  pick the beautiful results and bask in the praise when I share with friends and neighbors. Little work ~ large glory...I like it!!
While out there on this fine, summer day, I made a wonderful discovery. We have pumpkins, and I mean A LOT of pumpkins! Look how big this one is and it's only the end of June!! We have tried for many years to produce pumpkins because we knew the grandkids would think they were cool. Last year was our first success. We got about three tiny ones and one medium sized one. Never have we had them so early in the season. I know they take a long time to mature and the vines sure take up a lot of space, but, hopefully, it will be worth it in September when I want to have them throughout the house for decorations. By today's count, there is at least ten out there already that are the size of a baseball and dozens of yellow flowers that mean the potential for more. They are choking out my cucumbers! But, then, how much cucumber salad can you eat, anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment