Monday, March 16, 2020

Corona Depression

I am an event planner and a small business owner. Last Friday, March 13, 2020 at 9:00am I had five events on the books for the month of March alone. By 5:00pm that same day, four events had postponed and one cancelled completely. I sat at the table in stunned silence. Yes, I know this coronavirus is bigger than just me, but I am a small business owner. I get paid only when I work and provide a service. I don’t get a salary every other Friday like so many. I don’t have the security of a daily/weekly job. I make my own work. I promote myself. I am always letting people know what I do and offering my services. I am shameless in my self-promotion, and after all these years, it has served me well. It has brought me tons of business and referrals. I am not lazy. I love to work. I love what I do. But this is bigger than anyone can imagine. This will cause many small businesses to exist no more. Watch the FOR LEASE shoot up in your neighborhood strip malls in the next few months. You may feel sad and even annoyed that your local nail salon, independent restaurant, gym, etc. is no longer there. You may have to drive further to replace these services. You may have to get used to someone new providing these services. What I hope you also remember is that these people are most likely sitting in a chair at their house, wondering how they will pay their bills, pay their rent, take care of their family.

I explained the trickle down effect of economics to my granddaughter yesterday. Less work for me means I second guess every purchase.  Does my dog really need a new dog bed right now? Holding off on this small purchase means, the people who make the dog bed don’t get the order. The people who package the order have less work. The people who drive the shipment trucks to deliver the dog bed have less work. Each person affected by the slowdown asks themselves the same question before making a purchase, “Do I really need this?” So me not buying one simple dog bed, affects our economy exponentially. What is the prudent thing to do in these uncertain times? Spend or not? I am fortunate enough to have been in business so long, I have experienced many ups and downs and I am a good saver. I have financial breathing room, but who wants to dip into that nest egg? I also feel down because I love creating events. I get to make people happy. What good fortune, beyond money, that is! I wonder when the next time I will be able to do what I love. My crystal ball is broken and I don’t have a clue! My usual go-go-go has been replaced with stop-stop-stop. In the coming weeks and months, the landscape of our society will have vastly changed, some for the good and some for the bad.  It remains to be seen. One thing I know, we are all in this together. Like the sign says, “Closed but Still Awesome!”

PS. I bought the dog bed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment