Wednesday, January 26, 2022

I am Still Learning


Recently, I found myself in very unfamiliar territory. I was on the receiving end of people’s kind gestures and good wishes.  I am usually the GIVER. I send the cards. I drop off food. I give. I am not a good receiver. It makes me uncomfortable, actually. Through these last few weeks, I learned a powerful lesson. You may think the lesson is one of gratitude, which, of course, I AM grateful, but it goes beyond that to a lesson I’d like to share with others.

When something happens to a friend, such as a death in the family, an illness or any other stressful situation, DO NOT say, “Let me know if there’s anything I can do.” “Do you need anything?” Let me tell you for certain, most people will not ask for anything. They will say they are fine. They will say they don’t need anything. The correct response, in my opinion, is JUST DO SOMETHING!!! Don’t wait to be asked because you may wait a long time, perhaps forever. The person, especially someone who is used to being the giver and doer, will probably NEVER ask for help. They may not even know they need help, but when the help arrives, unannounced, they will be eternally grateful. Help takes on many forms. It can be a meal prepared or store bought to be used when the recipient feels like it. It may be flowers, a card with a heartfelt message inside, a cozy blanket to wrap up in, indulgent snacks and trashy magazines or occasional texts or calls to touch base. What you do is not nearly as important as doing something! Again, don’t wait to be asked or told, JUST DO SOMETHING!! I can guarantee it will be appreciated and you will be a blessing in their life.

I said to my daughter last week, “How will I ever repay all these people?” She replied, “Mom, you don’t repay them. You pay it forward. You do something nice for someone else who needs it.” Ahhh, I have raised a wise daughter!

Even at my ripe old age, I am still learning! Thank goodness!

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything is OK. Hugs to you, my friend. Excellent post/advice.

    ReplyDelete