Monday, January 31, 2022

Small Things

                This world has been nothing short of tumultuous these past two years. It has divided families, ended friendships and left our country battered and bruised. At times, I hardly recognize the good old US of A. All this has left me, as well as many of you, feeling uneasy and anxious. I am a certified control freak and this makes me realize how little control I have of many things.

                When whatever I am feeling or doing seems too big, too scary, just too much, I have figured out a way to regain some of my calm. I do simple, ordinary things. I unload the dishwasher. I give the dog a bath. I straighten one drawer. Somehow these simple acts, that I can control, calms me and makes me feel a little less out of control and scattered. There is a lot to be said for small tasks like these. No, they don’t rid us of Covid or immediately return the world that once was, but they can make a small corner of my little world seem more tolerable. It makes me feel like I am still moving forward in this quest to find my peace and harmony. It reminds me that I can put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. I can see small results from my efforts and that pleases me. Eventually, a lot of small results turns into big results.

                And if all else fails, there’s always a glass of wine…even better if it’s shared with a friend!


No comments:

Post a Comment