Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Five Years Ago

This month marks five years since I ran my first 5K. To have started running is one small miracle, but to be able to say I have kept running for five years is nothing short of amazing. Never an athlete, not a runner, I still sometimes have to stop myself from thoughts that I am a fraud and not a "real runner". How can it be that I am?
Well, eighteen 5Ks, two 8Ks, six 10ks, one 15K and fourteen half marathons later, I guess I am allowed to think of myself as a runner. I credit two people for helping me start. One is my dear friend Carol in Texas who has run for ages and finally peaked my interest in it. The other is my son-in-law who, when I asked if he'd help me get ready for my first 5K, told me absolutely. We'd do it together. Here we are on a rainy Sunday in March 2009 running our first 5K in Newport Beach.
It proved not to be temporary insanity, I was hooked! I still am! My daughter often laughs at me or simply shakes her head at my desire to run races, better my times, keep all my stats. She runs to "look good naked". I run to stay fit and healthy, hopefully well into my old age. I run to have time for conversations in my head and solve problems who's solutions elude me. I run for that glass of wine, guilt free. I run to see that I can do it...that I can still do it. I run because it is the closest thing to play for an adult. I run to see that look of admiration on people's faces when they hear I have run 14 half marathons and didn't start running until I was almost 55. I run because it is all about me. I have spent my life taking care of others, my kids, my husband, our business, the home, the bills, the everything. When I run, it is just me and nobody else. My single obligation is to put one foot in front of the other, to keep going.
This month, I will run another 5K and another 15K. Next month, I am part of a 12 person relay team that will run almost 200 miles in 36 hours. My birthday falls on a Saturday this year and I am searching for a half marathon to run on that day. It's a "big birthday", if you know what I mean and, for some silly reason, I want to be able to say," I ran a half marathon on my 60th birthday!"
God willing, I will.

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me....that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing my friend!!! I always knew you could do it; I just didn't know you would be so obsessed!!!!

    ReplyDelete