Sunday, March 30, 2014

Five Days & Counting

Last July, my daughter proposed an interesting running challenge to a few of us. Let's run a 12-man relay race for almost 200 miles! It's called RAGNAR and they have these relay races all over the US, all year long. There are two vans of six people each and each runner has to run three "legs" of the race in order. It begins at 5:00am on Friday in Huntington Beach and will end for us around 5:00pm on Saturday night down in Coronado! All this, while sitting in a van, running on very little, if any sleep. Six smelly, sweaty bodies in a confined space, trying to relax between their runs. Well, my gosh, who wouldn't want to do this?!?!?!
After nine long months of talking about it, it is finally here this Friday. We have friends flying in from Colorado and Texas to run with us. Some of my teammates I know very well. Some I have never met. We range in age from late 20s to mid 60s. Some are new to running, while others have been running for many years. Some are very fast and some, like me, are plodders.
While I truly hate the overused words, EPIC and AMAZING, I am pretty sure these words will be apt descriptions of how we will feel on Saturday night after accomplishing this challenge.
Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment