Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Down, but Not Out

 Vonda Shepard sings a song that says, "Ain't it funny how you're walking through life and it turns on a dime?" Well, in my case, it would have to be, "Ain't it funny how you're running through life and it turns on a dime?" Yesterday afternoon, I wanted to go out for my last little run before the half marathon on Sunday. All I was doing was four miles. I have this route near home, that is straight uphill Newport the first two miles, then I get to turn around and cruise home the last two miles downhill. I've done it dozens of times. Well, I tripped on the downhill and couldn't break my fall. I face planted on the concrete and knew right away I was a mess. Blood was pouring out of me from several places. I saw that I had ruined my beautiful running glasses that my son had given  me as a gift. As silly as it sounds when you are lying in a heap at the side of the road, this made me cry the most!
I knew I had several injuries and was worried I had lost a tooth from the fall. Blood was coming from both my nose and mouth and it was hard to tell at that point. Bloody hand, arm and knees added to my trouble. I knew I was about two miles from home, but if I could just pull it together, I could get back. Sadly, I did not bring my cell phone on this run as I often don't on short runs. Suddenly, a car pulls up beside me and a woman and her son get out. The woman said she had seen me fall and it looked so bad and terrible, she had to turn her car around and come back to see if I was okay. She gave me tissues to wipe up some of the blood. She offered to take me home, but I refused to get into her beautiful Lexus for fear of getting blood everywhere. I asked her to call my husband. When he didn't answer, she sent him a text. Then I asked her to call my daughter. She told Amber I had fallen and where I was located. She didn't want to leave me, but she was taking her daughter to a tutor lesson. I said they would be there fast, as we live close by and to go. Julie, whoever you are, wherever you are, thank you from the bottom of my heart for stopping! Your kindness will stay with me for a very long time. I remember sitting on the ground, bleeding profusely, and telling you that you had cute shoes!! (She did!) She probably thought I was in shock. She doesn't know how much I love shoes!
Moments later, Mark showed up, followed by Amber. Another young woman also stopped and asked if I was okay. She was young and so sweet. I told her this was my husband and I was going to be okay. I thanked her for stopping. By then, shaking terribly, Mark got me into the car and home for a shower to assess the damages. Crying in the shower is the best. You can't tell where the tears start and the water ends!
My face really took a beating. Not being able to break my fall because of the downhill, really messed me up. I have gashes on my face, a bad road burn under my nose and inside my mouth a huge gash that has been swollen, but finally stopped bleeding. This will make eating rather difficult. It may be the answer to the last three pounds I have been wanting to lose! (Silver lining?!?!) Happy to report, I still have all my teeth! My hands are scraped badly and my knees even worse. I am thankful I had Motrin 800 in the cupboard (thanks, Jo!).

Here's my face the day after. Under the nose is quite the mess. Good thing people know my mild mannered husband as it looks a little like spousal abuse!! HA!
As of now, I still plan to run on Sunday in the half marathon. God willing, it will come to pass.
Every day I say a prayer of thanks for my health. Today, I pray for speedy healing! Amen.

3 comments:

  1. So Susan! I am so glad you are okay! Poor thing... I am so glad someone stopped to help. Hang in there...

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! So glad you are okay. Sorry this happened. Very glad there were good people to stop and be sure you were ok. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are OK. I think those missing toenails had something to do with you losing your balance. It's that Dam Mt. Whitney effect again!!!

    ReplyDelete