Thursday, January 16, 2014

Best Days

I am wondering how many people truly believe this. Years ago, when I was in my 40s, I remember stating to a group of friends that the best was past us. We'd had our wedding.We'd had our children. We'd become what we'd become, both personally and professionally. Our bodies were beginning to betray us. I felt the rest of life would be spent living through the events and successes of those around us. Not our marriage, but our kids. Not our babies, but our grand babies. We were destined to sit at the "old people table" at the parties and weddings of the future, no longer dancing, but watching the dancers.
This really set my friends off. How could I feel this way? There was so much living yet to do and experience! We had so much for which to look forward! Even today, I am not so sure I agree with them. Life has a way of beating us up. There are many challenges we have faced, year after year, and it can wear us down. Nobody gets by without a few "life battle wounds". Some people seem to get more than their share. Fairness doesn't seem to enter into it. Tricky stuff.
Although I may not believe that the best days of my life haven't happened yet, I hold out hope for a few more really good days that still make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment