Wednesday, August 21, 2013

You Were Supposed to Say "NO!"

As many know, we climbed Mt. Whitney this week. It was one of the hardest (worst) things I have ever done. I originally told my husband that, "We will never speak of this day again!!!", but after having a night or two to sleep on it, I find I must record, in detail, this entire event (ordeal).  So begins a series of posts, all Mt. Whitney relayed. Each will have it's own title that helps to set the tone.
Back in Oct of last year, my son-in-law, "Scout Leader One" himself, decided to rally the guys and plan a trip to hike for four days with the fifth day ending in the climb of Mt. Whitney. My brother-on-law hears of this and asks me if I would interested in trying to get into the lottery for the one day pass to climb the main trail, up and down, all in one day and meet them at the summit. Knowing that my husband had tried at least 5 times to win this lottery, I said, "Sure" because I never thought we'd get it. I could pull the, "Well, honey, I tried. We just didn't make it."
As you can see, we DID get in! No one was more surprised than my BIL. I have been running a ton, feeling like I am in the best shape of my life, and figured, we can do this. How bad can it be? Answer: worse than I ever thought possible!!
The final piece of the puzzle to this adventure was that I was supposed to confirm the reservation within two days of departure. Heck, it was on page three of the email. Who reads page three?!? Thank goodness (not really), Kevin saw this detail and called to tell me to confirm it or we'd lose our reservation.
So...the stars all aligned...1) I told Kevin "Yes" 2) We won the lottery 3) I confirmed the reservation
Strike three. we're in!!!


1 comment:

  1. I have a few ideas to increase our chances for next years attempt. Call me.

    ReplyDelete