Saturday, August 3, 2013

Jonas & Hanna

For the past six weeks, we have had a house guest from Sweden. He was here as an intern for my son-in-law during the summer hockey season. Last week his darling girlfriend joined him for the vacation part of their trip. It has been delightful to have them here and a little hard to say good bye yesterday. They were off to San Diego & San Francisco and even more adventures before their return to Sweden.
Jonas and I were a good match. I love to cook and he loves to eat! It just tickled me to watch him enjoy the dinners I prepared while he was here. Helping him navigate the freeways of Southern CA was at times challenging, but he always found his way to where he was going and back home by the end of the day. We introduced him to our family tradition of "high-low" at dinner time (sharing the high of your day and the low of your day) and he easily shared and seemed to enjoy it.
One night, he said his high was speaking with his girlfriend that day. It is easy to see why, because she is such a Swedish beauty, as well as a really nice person. My grandson could not stop talking about how pretty she was! She arrived bearing gifts for me ~ a Kosta Boda bowl (made in Sweden) and Swedish licorice. Not at all like American licorice, but so tasty!! Some I enjoyed so much I wondered if I can find it in the food section of Ikea (Swedish store). It caused me to have a discussion with some friends. What food would you take to another country to share as part of our culture? Interesting to think about because you can't take a hamburger & fries!!
On her last day here, my daughter and I took Hanna for her first ever pedicure. She was so cute and enjoyed it from start to finish. She even made a video of the experience to share with her friends back home. She could not get over the elaborate designs they painted on her toenails. Funny, something we take for granted around here, a pedicure, was so special for someone else. Made me realize to be grateful for small things like this. Proving, once again, the small things really are the big things!
Thanks, Jonas & Hanna for sharing our lives for a few weeks. Come back and see us again!


1 comment: