Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Worry

Every now and then, worry takes over my house. Waking up in the middle of the night (typical for a female in my age group), I try and calm the thoughts in my head. I often don't win. I lay in the dark and run through the list of things about which I am worried. Big or small, they are like shadow monsters on the wall. I want to look away, but can't. Somehow, they loom even larger in the middle of the night. I resent my husband sleeping serenely next to me. How can he be so calm when there is so much worry in the room?! Doesn't he feel it?! I often tell him, he doesn't worry because he knows I worry for both of us. He gets a pass and I get the worry lines on my face!
There was a TV show a while back about a family who had plenty to worry about and rightfully so. The dad had cancer, the house was in need of major repairs, and the mom had lost her job. The dad's favorite saying was, “Lots of things to think about, nothing to worry about.” That phrase has stuck with me since hearing it. 
We all have lots to think about and often it turns to worry. Worry is, when logically seen, pretty useless. Worry walks you around in circles, getting nowhere. Thinking about things often moves you further down the road and solutions present themselves. 
My goal is to think more and worry less. It is a lofty goal, especially in the dark of the night.
Biggsuzi

No comments:

Post a Comment