Saturday, March 3, 2012

St. Pat's Treats

I love the combination of salty and sweet and when I saw this snack idea, I knew it was one I had to try, especially because it was themed for St. Patrick's Day and I am sucker for themes! It begins with small pretzels. I like the look of these square ones, plus they are flatter than the small twisted ones. I recommend splurging on this size. Place the pretzels on a parchment lined baking sheet. Do not use wax paper for this! It is going in the oven. If you don't have parchment paper, foil would also work.
Next, you place one candy melt on each pretzel. Keeping with my theme, I used milk chocolate, white and green melts. Wilton makes good melts that I use in all my candy classes. You can find them at Michaels (with a 40% coupon, of course!!) This is placed into a 350 degree oven for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not get sidetracked!! It goes fast and you need to keep an eye on it. You are not melting the chocolate, you are only softening it. Big difference. I did these for just a little over a minute, and, looking back, I think I should have let them go another 30 seconds. I was just so shocked at how fast they began to melt, I didn't want to have a mess on my hands and waste everything. Just keep an eye on them.

I bought a big bag of plain M & Ms as I only wanted to use green and a little bit of yellow ones. Have these separated and ready to go the minute you remove the cookie sheet from the oven. You need to work fast and having a helper would come in handy at this point. I did it myself and, by the end, they had begun to harden back up already. You are going to gently push the M & M into each candy melt so it sticks.
Here's what they looked like when I had finished all of them. Some are a little off center, but I think they will taste just as good as the perfect looking ones!

A close up of the finished tray.

They really look adorable in my shamrock tray. this would make a darling little treat for kids to take to school for their teacher on St. Patrick's Day. Bagging a small amount and tying it with a bow would be a cute treat for friends, neighbors or coworkers.
It is fun to celebrate everything in life and even better to share it with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment