Monday, February 6, 2012

Lucky #13

Yesterday, I ran the Surf City Half Marathon in Huntington Beach with 17,000 people. The race itself was really great. We ran mostly along PCH with the water on one side. The weather was warmer than I expected, never a good thing for this runner. After the race, I experienced the worst cramping in both my calves that I have ever had. I am talking, crying and yelling on the car ride home. Poor Mark was trying to give suggestions on what to do, which only upset me further. I liken the pain to contractions during childbirth (yes, that bad) and his suggestions were as annoying as anything he might have said during childbirth as well! It lasted for quite a while and the result is that today, both calves are still rock hard. If I sit too long, it is tough to get going.
Reading this, you probably ask the question, "Then why do it?" I willingly signed up for the race. It was my 8th half marathon in less than two years. I knew what I was getting into for sure. Although I have never had quite that bad of a post race experience, there is always some stiffness and soreness after running 13.1 miles. However, there is also the euphoric feeling of accomplishment and pleasure at the end of the race that is an even bigger feeling than the pain. I guess that is where the analogy of childbirth may come in again. For all the pain and tears, people keep having babies. Besides the pain, often forgotten shortly after the experience itself, is the pure joy and bliss that comes from holding that new, perfect creature in your arms. Worth the pain, we say, worth it for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment