Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Here's a great weeknight dinner that you can have on the table in less than 30 minutes. I have been making this recipe since I got it from the Calphalon chef when I was the Culinary Director at Bloomingdale's over a decade ago! It is one of my family's favorites and so easy. I must admit, I had to look around for the recipe as I just make it from memory and estimate the measurements as I go. After you make it a few times, you will probably do the same. My son-in-law actually asked me to show him how to make it!

ITALIAN FUSILLI

What you need:
12 ounces dried fuscilli (I tried other shapes, but this is best)
8 ounces mild or hot Italian sausage
2 can (14 oz each) stewed tomatoes
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 cup chopped fresh basil (I grow it in the garden, so I just grab a few sprigs)

What you need to do:
Cook pasta according to package for al dente. While it's cooking, heat a 10 or 12 inch pan over medium heat. Squeeze the sausage from casings into pan; cook, stirring to break up. I recommend the Pampered Chef "Mix and Chop" to really break down the sausage into smaller pieces. This is the handiest kitchen tool I have bought in years! When meat is browned, stir in tomatoes (they can be broken up with the same tool) and the fennel seeds. reduce heat to simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. When pasta is done, drain and add to tomato-sausage sauce and toss. Add chopped fresh basil and serve.
You can add grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste. This recipe costs about $8 - $10 to make and feeds 5 - 6 people. Add garlic bread and/or a salad if you like. I have even served it for bunco, small, casual dinner parties, etc. ALWAYS a hit and so easy!

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I have a group I cook for once a month, and one is vegetarian, and another person can't have dairy. This is perfect for the non-dairy person. What do you think of adding some mushrooms and onions in place of the sausage above, and then just cooking some sausage separately to put on the side for everyone who is not a vegetarian? Sprouts makes the best chicken sausages! P.S. Don't think I have cooked with fennel seeds before!

    ReplyDelete