Saturday, January 15, 2011

Oh, My Aching Back

"Ain't it funny how you're walking through life and it turns on a dime?"
Yesterday, I bent down to pick up the tiny bathroom trash can and tweaked my back. The second I stood up, I knew I had hurt it badly. It was a familiar twinge that resonated through my whole body. Having already scheduled important meetings for the day, I put on my dress and heels and kept moving. By that afternoon, I was paying the price. Sitting was the most uncomfortable. I could barely walk and the pain kept growing. It was a rough night.
I have hurt my back before; I know the drill ~ ibuprofen every four hours and alternate ice and heat. All I want to do is cry. I immediately think about all the days I will lose not running and it depresses me so much. My little, illogical voice in my head wonders if I'll ever run again! I chastise myself for not doing the strengthening exercises my husband is always reminding me to do. I promise, when this injury is behind me, I am going to do them faithfully! I am going to stretch every morning like they recommend in my running magazines.
Then the day comes when I will get up and not feel the twinge. I will be back to my old self and will be able to put on my running shoes, get out in the fresh air and run. I will slowly build back up to where I feel strong and able. I will probably not have time for the strengthening exercises on a regular basis. I will stretch before a run, but not every morning. Yes, back to my old self, both good and bad. We humans are often slow learners and our own worst enemies. Something so fragile as our health is taken for granted, until the day it is taken from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment