Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer

With August in full swing, it makes me realize that summer will be drawing to a close before we know it. Wow, where did it go? When I was younger, I always thought people showed their age
when they said, "Time goes so fast!" Now that I am not young, I totally agree with them; it does go by fast!
With a birthday in June, it has always seemed that either my birthday or Christmas is on the horizon. As I write this, Christmas is 140 days away. Not that close, by all means, but already the stores are starting to fill themselves with Christmasy things. I still want to enjoy the long, sunny days of summer and BBQs and being outside after dinner.
As you know if you read my blog regularly, I am a planner and list maker. I feel better when it is written down, orderly, and I know what's coming up. However, I have come to realize that in all this planning and anticipating, I am forgetting to "be here now". Much research has been done and the conclusion seems to be the same, finding happiness in the moment is the best way to be happy. Waiting for things to change, people to change, the next holiday, etc. leaves a lot of time doing just that ~ waiting. Allowing yourself to really be in the moment gives you a much better chance of finding contentment right now. For the little time that remains in summer, I am going to enjoy it. You'll find me out back after dinner, sitting with my husband, enjoying a glass of wine, talking about nothing important and no list will be in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment