Monday, August 23, 2010

Half Marathon

It's been a week now since I ran my first half marathon. It seems a little odd that I didn't rush to write something about it right when I finished. I have had a week to analyze this and here is what I have I have decided.
Although I am not fast, I managed to finish in 2:34:26. Running for over two hours really gives you time to think, even with 8,000 other people running around you. As nervous as I was about the race, I knew I would finish, that's just who I am. It is rare that I make goals and don't accomplish them. Not to "pump my own tires" as my kids say, but, let me tell you, 13.1 miles is a LONG WAY! Next time you think of it, look at your odometer when you're in your car and then check where you are 13 miles later! It is far! Some races start and end in the same place so you make a loop when you run the course. This race started out at Point Loma in San Diego and ended up in Balboa Park. Not running a loop, you can really see how far it is.
I know many people have accomplished this in the past and many more will in the future. I know I am not unique in this, but I never would have thought it would be on my list of accomplishments in my life. I can tell by people's reaction when you say you've run a half marathon that they are impressed. It reminds me to enjoy it a little more.
Now I want to break 2:30:00...shrinking goal posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment