Sunday, July 20, 2014

Lessons in Imperfection

 So, I found this cake mix (on sale!) that promised a tie-dye cake. It sounded like it was just the thing to do with the girls on a summer afternoon. It proved to be a bit challenging in that you had to create each color through a process of adding a certain number of drops of this color or that color to create the six colors of the rainbow. These colors were unlike any I had ever worked with before, each with beautiful, dark, distinct hues. So far, so good.
 We decided to make it in a bundt pan so as we cut each slice, a beautiful rainbow would appear!  Popping it in the oven, we had high hopes for a masterpiece.
It was not to be! The instructions said to cool in the pan for 25 minutes. I had never cooled a bundt cake for that long, so at 20 minutes, I made the "head chef" decision to pop it out. BIG mistake!!! Only half the cake came out while the other stubbornly clung to the inside of the cake pan! It was, clearly, too soon to be removed and I had ruined all our efforts to make this special cake. I was so disappointed. The girls heard my cries of despair (and perhaps a few "bad" words) and came running to the kitchen. They too were horrified by what they found. Then Maddy said, "Let's taste it." and so we did. We each marveled at how yummy it was, crumbs, mess and all.
Comments included:
Maddy: "Oh, Grammie, just don't look at it while you eat it. It is delicious!"
Abbey: I feel like I have a rainbow in my belly!"
Maddy: "We can still enjoy it with ice cream tonight!"
Abbey: "It is still beautiful, just not what we thought it was going to look like."
Pa: "Where's my piece?!"
The lesson, for me, was, that although far from perfect or what I thought it was going to look like or be, it was still wonderful and a treat.
Just like life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment