Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Only Four Gifts

I read a wonderful story a few weeks ago where the woman was lamenting the "more, more, more" "I want...I want...I want" side of Christmas. She came up with a solution for her family. She sat them all down and said everyone was getting exactly FOUR presents.
Something you want...
Something you need...
Shoething to wear...
Something to read...
Of course, the children protested and said it wasn't enough. Turns out it was enough and just what they needed to put the spirit of the season in perspective. They have been doing it this way for many years now.
I love the way she worded it, not just four presents, but four distinct things. It got me thinking. What would I pick for each category? Actually, these four categories pretty much sums up what any of us need/want.
I know there will be, once again, a mound of gifts under the tree this year. Paper will be strewn across the floor and it will be hard to remember who gave what. Hopefully, among the abundance there will be, something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.
Sometimes simple is better and simple actually becomes enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment