Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Safer 3

Anyone who reads my blog regularly, knows that my three grandkids are little fish when it comes to the pool. They spend most of the summer months in the water. Imagine my surprise when I read in this week's newspaper that child drownings are at a four year high in Southern CA!! It gave me pause to consider this very preventable accident.
Just as I did with my own children, all three grandkids had swimming lessons from the time they were little babies. Many people who live in Orange County, especially the Tustin area, know the name of Johnny Johnson. He has taught, I am pretty sure, over half of the OC to swim including my kids. Not to "out" his age, but Johnny is probably on his third generation of teaching kids to swim. He owns Blue Buoy Swim School and is a huge proponent of water safety for all, especially kids. He is also very involved in a program about water safety called The Safer 3. More about that later.
When our kids are in the pool, we feel pretty confident in their strong abilities to swim. We have rules like, nobody can go in unless an adult is out there. That's not to say that we adults get lazy with our lifeguard duties, and occasionally run inside to grab something and they are left alone for a short amount of time. Even when we are outside with them, we are often caught up in the latest book we are reading or having a conversation. Attention to the swimmers sometimes takes on a less important role than it should. These are terrible admissions that I think many of us are guilty of from time to time.
There is an excellent program out there called "The Safer 3". The main concept of The Safer 3 is based upon the definition of the word "safe". Safe means you are free from risk of harm or danger. When it comes to water, this simply is not true. There is always risk when you are in, on or around water. The risk may vary in degree from very slight to severe. The letter "r' in "Safer" reflects the difference - safer, not completely safe. I strongly suggest you check out this program to learn more. The simple concept of asking "Where are my risks and what strategies can I implement to reduce them?" can save lives.
At a party, with lots of people, both adults and children who are swimming, we can never assume someone else is watching them. My husband and I call it the "Tommy Lee" effect. The rock star was having a  big pool party in his home a few years ago, and, as often happens, everyone thought someone else was watching the kids swim. Sadly, one young child drowned right in front of all those people! A terribly tragic yet preventable situation.
This summer, may we all be crusaders for water safety ~ a simple concept with dramatic results! For more info, contact Johnny Johnson at Blue Buoy Swim School in Tustin. Tell him Biggsuzi sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment