Friday, June 7, 2013

Adulthood

How many adults have felt this same way at least a few times in their life? I remember constantly telling my kids not to be so anxious to become an adult as it's not all it's cracked up to be! Like all kids, they didn't listen. They wanted to be out on their own, nobody telling them what to do or how to do it! I got a good chuckle the day my daughter called and said she wanted to "turn in her card". What card, I asked? The card for adulthood. It blows having to be grown up and responsible all the time, she said. Ahhh, yes, harsh truth.
Being a responsible adult can be difficult and exhausting. It was easier being a kid who was told what to do, what time to go to bed, what to eat, etc. Decisions made for you may seem to be oppression. Being a grown up can be oppressive! Some days, we adults are just out of answers, out of decisions and out of energy. We would like nothing more than a break, where everything is decided for us and done for us. Oh, maybe not forever, but we'd like to reset the clock every now and then. Just give us a short break from all the responsibility and then we can resume our job being responsible adult.
Anybody want to join me in my blanket fort? There's plenty of room!


No comments:

Post a Comment