Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's in a Name?

Reading this morning's paper, I saw that Pippa Middleton, sister of Prince William's wife, Kate, will become a columnist for a monthly magazine published by an upscale British grocery store. It will cover casual dining ideas and recipes.  Now, this got me to thinking. Why is it that, if you have a famous relative, or a famous last name, people jump at the chance to let you write a book, a column, etc?
Anyone who knows me, would probably say I could write such a column. I love to cook and entertain and often make fabulous suggestions for these very things. How come nobody is calling me to write a column? I am convinced, it's my last name!! I have no rich and famous relatives. I have no movie stars in my family heritage. I don't travel in international circles. Oh, I've had a few things published: a poem in a magazine, a letter to the editor, an article in a hockey magazine, a column in the church bulletin and this silly blog. Hardly, earth shaking stuff and very small scale. Many would be satisfied with this, but not me. I always thought by now, I would be rich and famous and I find myself neither. Harsh reality!
Hey, George Clooney! I know you don't want to ever get married, but would you be willing to adopt me? I think a book by George's daughter would be at instant best seller. Susan Clooney....I like the sound of that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment