Monday, February 4, 2013

Run, Grammie, Run



 "In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder
It's been one year since I ran in a half marathon. I was very nervous to even attempt it on Sunday. The last one I ran was the same race, Surf City Half Marathon in Huntington Beach, where I experienced such bad leg cramps, it made me cry. My calm, utterly logical husband kept saying it was okay to walk briskly either part or the whole race. Just finish to prove to yourself you can still do it. 
I am so happy to report that I did finish with no leg cramps and a pretty decent time for an old broad! I ran most of it and did allow myself a few "brisk walk" breaks as well. My time was not my best, but definitely not my worst. I was very satisfied with my results.
For non runners, it is hard to explain how running makes you feel. It is the body often saying it doesn't want to do this, but your mind overrules and says, oh yes, you will. The satisfaction that comes from running is a heady drug. It clears out  the cobwebs that get in your head and helps you to see things clearer. It forces you to choose determination rather than defeat. It changes your body, yes, but your mind even more.
The day after: a little stiff, a little sore, VERY satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment