Thursday, April 26, 2012

Silver/Gold


Remember the old song from childhood, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold." Well, I have long said it is difficult to make friends later in life because it is too tiresome to catch them up on decades of your life and all its intricacies. We make, what I call, pocket friends. You tell them a few tidbits. You share a few stories from the past. You tell them about your life as it is right now. They get pockets of your life, but not the whole picture.Too long...too hard to tell.
I am here to say, I made a new friend. Our paths crossed in the most arbitrary way and could have easily never happened. But they did. I am convinced it is for a reason. We are close in age but, at first glance, very different. I have been married for decades with two children. She has been single most for her life with no children. She has been in the one field I have always said is definitely NOT for me ~ medical. She is from Chicago and a new transplant to CA. I am a CA gal for forever.
All these differences aside, there is something that I really like about this woman. I think she feels the same. Our chats cover a variety of topics and I find myself laughing at times and provoked to seeing things differently at other times. We both have scars from life's curve balls. We continue to pick ourselves up from the dirt, dust ourselves off and keep going.
We met each other for a reason. Can't wait to see what that reason is.
Keep going...one foot in front of the other...

No comments:

Post a Comment