Saturday, January 14, 2012

Making Memories


The whole family went to Disneyland this week to celebrate January birthdays, specifically, Abigail's. It was probably the best day we have ever had there, with picture postcard weather and VERY few people. We were definitely spoiled for future visits. For some reason, Pa really wanted to go on the water rapids ride in California Adventure. Jack and Abbey didn't make the height requirement, so daddy stayed behind with them, while Pa, Grammie, Amber, Maddy, Tyler & Emily went on the ride. Lest there be any doubt, YES, you get wet! For some reason, my seat was the one that didn't just get splashed a little, it got pummeled with huge waves of water leaving me the most soaked out of the riders. For whatever reason, this was seen as a total delight to all my family.

My hair was wet. My shirt was wet. My jeans were not wet ~ they were soaked!!

Five hours after the ride, you could still feel how wet the pockets were on my jeans!
At the end of a 12 hour day, we went around and asked, "What was your favorite ride AND what was your favorite memory of the day?" Hands down, my drenching came to the top of everyone's list. There's just something about mom (now, grammie) getting the brunt of any joke. In the past, I would have taken offense to this and felt like my family was being mean to me. I was not very good at laughing at myself. This day, however, I realized that these very people who were laughing at my miserable, soaked state were be the same ones who would run through fire for me. They would rescue me. They would protect me. They would make sure I was okay, no matter what!
Knowing that, makes a little bone chilling soaking kind of warm you up! You make memories when you least expect it. It is often in the small things not planned, but later, so cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment