Friday, December 23, 2011

Are You My Mommy?

It's been a very long time since there was a dog in this house. The ones that were here, were inherited by default from my son and son-in-law. They were BIG dogs and and not my choice.
I have no idea where the thought came from, but I have been contemplating getting a dog for several months. It would just pop up in my consciousness from nowhere. Now my husband, on the other hand, really doesn't care for dogs at all!!! At night, while watching TV, I would ask him questions like, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you feel about getting a dog?" His reply? "-1!!!" of "What are you nuts??"
I made the mistake of mentioning this to my daughter. She would not let it go and kept asking me if I really wanted a dog and if I did, I should rescue one. She started combing the local shelters online and sending me photos. None interested me that much, until I saw this scruffy mess above. She just seemed to be looking right at me and calling my name. OK, I said, we will go LOOK at her. Knowing how opposed my husband was, made me do all this half heartedly. I know everyone thinks I just do what I want, when I want, with no regard for others, but the truth is, I need and want my husband's approval on most things ~ especially BIG things. A dog (however small) is a BIG thing in this house!
We saw her in the first row and she was as cute in person as in her picture. We got to take her out for a "test drive" in the yard and she was so sweet and docile. They have a policy that states that everyone in the house must meet the dog before they will let you adopt, so Amber and I decided to go and bring Mark down to see her. First we stopped off for a bite to eat. We were actually standing in the line a Panera Bread and she looked at me and asked, "Are you even hungry? I'm too nervous to want to eat!" I agreed completely and off we went to ambush poor Mark.
He initially said NO...No...no....but, here's the thing ~ my husband loves me and he wants me to be happy. As much as he doesn't really want a dog, he could see this was a big deal for me and he relented. Off we went and we adopted her! I named her Callie. She is 8 pounds of sweetness. I am happy to report she slept in her crate all night without a whimper! As I write this, she is asleep behind me on my chair, all cozy and warm.
Truth is, she may have rescued me!

1 comment: