Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 Recap

Each December, you are hard pressed not to be bombarded with many different evaluations, both highs and lows of the year. We seem to like to look back and sort out what did and didn't occur during the previous twelve months.
For me, I look at it as "roses" and "thorns", or the good and the bad. It really is a good idea to recall life's events and catagorize them in one of the two groups. This year did not have any major events, but some things do stick out.
Here's my list:

ROSES
1. Having the grand kids for sleep overs & watching them curled up on the air mattress
2. Trips to Texas, San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas. When compiling this list, I realized that every trip was running related.
3. Being injury free all year and able to run 5 half marathons while achieving a new PR (personal record) 2:30:16
4. Trip to the desert with the Riley 5 that was nothing short of amazing. Kids are getting older and taking them places is easier and so much fun!
5. "Watching Wednesdays" when I took care of the Riley kids. They are loud, messy and more fun than you can imagine. Their intellect and humor keep me on my toes.
6. Callie, the dog I didn't know I wanted or needed, is the perfect addition to our family. She is sweet and easy and the kids adore her. I now have an excuse for talking to myself. I just say, "Hey, I'm talking to the dog!"
7. Saving the best for last, Mark (Papa) is the silent strength behind us all. He continues to fix everything for us, take care of us, work hard, and love us more than we deserve. We would be lost without him.

THORNS
1. Work was slow and that means money was sometimes in short supply. Amazing what you can live without. Much of it is not even noticed.
2. Jack topped the charts for broken bones this year and it was a difficult time. No one wants to see their loved ones hurt and you can't do anything to fix it.
3. #2 caused us to miss the annual family camping trip (except Pa, Maddy & Uncle Kevin). Who knew how sad I would feel when I couldn't go camping?! Did I just say that?!?!?!
4. Too much time passes between visits with friends and it makes me sad. People should be a priority for each other. We won't be here forever.
5. More wrinkles and gray hair. Only so much can be done to stop the aging process and acceptance of the inevitable seems the only answer.

After reading over these lists, I see the roses are not big things, but the thorns are even smaller! Sometimes, when I am living the day to day of ordinary time, it can get the best of me and I feel let down, disappointed, discouraged and depressed. Reading these lists brings to the forefront, once again, how very blessed and full my life is. I am not rich and famous. I did not travel to exotic lands. I did not accomplish anything great in 2011. I accomplished many, little things that feel great.
Good bye, 2011. Hello, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment