Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Power of a Dollar

Jack came home last week and tried to explain a story about his class, brownies he told them I would make & a guinea pig!! The next day, when I dropped him at school, the teacher said "I need to talk to you." She further explained that, yes, they were having a bake sale to raise money for a new guinea pig. Apparently, the one they had for years, met with an untimely death this summer. Now, I know that the pets in the classroom go home with different kids for the weekend or summer. If that had happened on my watch, I would have made a beeline for the nearest pet store and bought a replacement immediately. I also would have probably said nothing. If someone wondered out loud about how they thought the guinea pig had more brown on him, I would pretend to not understand what they were saying!!
The bake sale gave me an idea. The night before the St. Paul's boutique, I made up a box, put a sign and a photo of a guinea pig on it, and placed it on a table at the entrance. All I asked was to "Donate a Dollar". Loads of people did! I am not sure at this time how much is in the box because Jack is going to take it school tomorrow and he and his classmates are all going to open it together and count out the dollars (math lesson). I am sure that the teachers will also use it as an opportunity for a lesson on generosity and giving.
I am humbled by the thought that one dollar, multiplied by many kind people, will have such an effect on these children. Never think what you have to offer is too small and won't matter, because it does.
And I don't even like guinea pigs ~ but I adore my grandson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment