Friday, August 26, 2011

What's In Your Closet?

We all know the commercial that asks, "What's in your wallet?" Well, I propose to ask a similar question, "What's in your closet?" I have become painfully aware in the last few months that we have too much stuff! In most any one's closet, there are items that we hang onto, for heaven only knows what reason. You know what I'm talking about. We all have something. This picture is of a pair of shoes that I bought eight to ten years ago. At the time, I fell in love with them. They are Charles David, 4.5 inch heels that cost about $200. I bought them first and built the outfit around them. I felt sexy and beautiful when I wore them. People always commented on them. They killed my feel after fifteen minutes. I didn't care. I have not taken these shoes from their shelf in at least six years. I am never going to wear 4.5 inch heels again. My runner's feet protest in anything above a 1.5 inch heel. I have taken to ballet flats of every color and Tom's shoes. Why are these shoes still in my closet? Why do I hang onto the batik (remember that word?) sheer top I bought in Hawaii when I was 21? I will never wear it again either.
Maybe this is a metaphor for what we hang onto in life that we need to let go. What do we hang on to because we just do? What behaviors do we continue even though they don't get us any closer to where we really want to be in life? What relationships do we hang onto even though they make us feel worse about ourselves rather than better? What do we need to throw away to make room for something better?
So, what's in your closet??

No comments:

Post a Comment