Sunday, August 28, 2011

Committee Work

I am not a good committee member, unless it is a committee of one ~ ME! This, once again, became very apparent to me as I worked on a project with several other people. I am going to do my best not to reveal what type of group this was, as I really did enjoy some of the people on it. This issue is more about me than them.
I like to be in charge, or, as my daughter will tell you, large and in charge! Hence the nickname that has stuck for decades, Biggsuzi! I make decisions easily and quickly and waiting for others to arrive at a decision feels like a long, painful drive down a road on which I don't want to be. My impatience rears its ugly head and I start to tap my toe under the table in annoyance. Let's move on, I want to shout. It is not a major life decision but the color of a napkin. Pick already!!
I like to be the giver, the planner, the boss. I don't like to be the receiver, reactor, or a follower. My family, long ago, decided it was far easier to just let me go and make the plans and be in charge. I like it and I am good at it. I look at the map and they look out the window.
Trouble is, most of life is a cooperative effort and not a one man (woman) show. I have had to learn to "play nice with the other kids". I must admit, good things have come out of working in a group that might otherwise not have been. I know this in my head, but forget it in my heart. I struggle with it often. Like the magnet on my fridge says "I am not bossy. I just have better ideas!"
Still learning....

No comments:

Post a Comment