Saturday, July 3, 2010

Essential Ingredients

When one says essential ingredients, most people automatically think of cooking. After all, ingredients are what we put into a recipe to make something to eat. However, I have been thinking about the words essential ingredients as they relate to life.
So much of what we have, especially things, are far from essential. I look around and see a house filled with things acquired over decades; many treasures to me, but far from essential. What are my essential ingredients? As unpopular as it may seem, money is one. Most people would first say love, family, friends, and I would agree. Money, however, is essential to living a decent life. I don't necessarily mean LOTS of money, but paying your bills and feeling somewhat secure helps you sleep at night. There is a saying, "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better." Again, defining rich is up to the individual.
Another essential for me is to not only having my family, but to have them nearby. Occasionally, I wonder what would happen if Sean (my son-in-law) announced he was being transferred to another part of the country. I can't imagine my life without almost daily contact with my grand children. They make up such a huge part of our lives, what would fill that void? I am pretty sure nothing could. I hope I never have to find out.
After almost 35 years of marriage, some good years and so not so good, my husband is essential to me. Oh, you think, everyone says that, but maybe not. I consider myself a very independent person, able to meet problems head on, make decisions and move forward. His very existence and acceptance of me for all these years has allowed me to feel this measure of independence. I can stick my neck out there and make snap decisions, knowing he is quietly in the shadows waiting to help where needed. Maybe my independence is actually very dependant upon the kind of man he has always been for me.
Friendship is an essential ingredient for me and I think most women. We are better at tight relationships than men. I guess it is because we discuss more than the latest scores of a game with each other! Over time, friendships come and go; we find ourselves in different places through life's journey. Some people fall away from our life and others enter. As we age, I think we have different degrees of friendship. Maybe it just becomes too hard to fill someone in on over 50 years, so we only offer bits and pieces. It seems easier. The few friendships I have that have withstood the test of time are essential ingredients to me. Part of who I am is reflected in their eyes and how well they know and love me.
So, what are your essential ingredients? Looking at this question may help you to see what really matters and also help you let go of what doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment