Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Anyone who has taken a driving vacation with children will probably agree, "Are we there yet?" is one of the most asked question of childhood. When our kids were young, we did some car trips with them. Being the planner that I am, I would research the trip and interesting things to see along the way. Of course, my definition of interesting and their definition of interesting varied. I will never forget how we talked and talked about going to the Grand Canyon one spring break. After driving for what felt like ages, we arrived and stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon in all its glory. My son asked, "Where are the rides?" I think he was expecting an amusement park instead of a national park. BIG difference!
We are about to take off for a driving adventure this week with the grand kids. It will probably entail about seven or eight hours in the car, depending on the number of potty breaks we need to take. I have high hopes that it will be fun and entertaining for all. It, too, will have it's frustrating moments that are not so fun. After all, it is a family vacation and that means it will be one third fun and remembered fondly and two thirds aggravation that will be forgotten. If not forgotten, in years to come, we will spin the story so that the aggravating parts become the funniest, most eventful of all. This is what we will hold close in our hearts long after the actual trip is over.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this post made me immediately think about "psycho dad." LMAO! I think i will never ever forget how mad he was at us and how you were laughing at him from behind the pillow!!! :) Good times!!!

    ReplyDelete