Thursday, December 4, 2014

Oh, Christmas Tree

 I am struggling this year about the Christmas tree. For 11 years, we had this huge, 10 foot fake tree that I loved. I could bend its branches any way I needed to accommodate the ornaments. It didn't have any bare spots or flaws. It was perfect. My family HATED it!! No smell, fake is dumb, it's TOO perfect!! My husband swore like a sailor every time he wrestled to put the thing together. When it finally died (area three just would not light up anymore!!), they rejoiced. I grumbled. We got a real tree last year and yes, it smelled and it was pretty but not that interesting, and certainly not 10 feet!
I had a creative brain storm that this year. I would buy a mix of small fake and real trees (2, 3 and 4 feet tall) and create my own little forest on top of a table. The gifts would go under the table. It would be different. It would be interesting. You would think I had announced I was going to walk naked down Irvine Blvd!!!! My family, loudly, let me know that was the dumbest, ugliest idea I have had in all of 2014!! So, as of today, we have NO tree in the house. It's usually up Thanksgiving weekend. I am still torn about what to do. Indecision IS a decision!
I like to read. Maybe I should make a tree of books like the one pictured above.
I like wine. Maybe I should create one like this. Now that would be a challenge...maybe!!
I always thought an upside down tree was fun and funny. Maybe I should make my husband wire one from the ceiling. Nah, never mind. He'd just start swearing like a sailor again.
We remain treeless! Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Real for me....never fake!
    It doesn't have to be big or perfect.
    The memories of all the ornaments are what makes it special to us.

    ReplyDelete