Sunday, August 3, 2014

OC Fair 5K

 While most people were still sleeping or maybe sipping a cup of coffee this morning, I was standing in line to run a 5K. I have run this race two times before and I know it is filled with a broad spectrum of people from serious runners to people who just want the free ticket to the fair that comes with the entry fee. The event coordinator always asks people to line up according to their pace, meaning walkers towards the back. After running for 5 years in 49 races, I know that nobody listens to this request. The first part of a race like this is spent dodging people who were at the front and had no business being there. I am not judging them. I admire that they are out there at all. Every step, every mile, is the road to fitness and that is good for everyone. What I don't admire is the danger they pose to people trying to run hard. At least adhere to the race courtesy of staying on the right so runners can pass on the left. When you have four women, all WALKING side by side, chatting away and blocking the road, it gets frustrating. Slow or fast, it is still called a run or a race.
Good news/bad news: I came in 2nd place out of 39 women in my age group!! I can't believe that there were 39 woman 60-64 running in the race! That is awesome and speaks to a whole generation who realizes that moving and exercise and challenging yourself is the key to a happy, healthy life into our golden years. Yeah, us!
AFTER the race, I was walking towards water and bananas and a young girl decided to stop right in front of me causing me to fall down! She looked at me and said, "Oops, I think that was my foot!" At least she helped me get up! First time in 49 races I needed medical attention for the bad scrapes on elbow and both knees.
I call them battle scares....hard fought....earned every one of them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment