Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Running's the Easy Part

 Running the actual relay race may be the easy part of all this!
Organizing everything that needs to be prepared, is a daunting task. Race day checklist includes: three separate sets of clothes (one for each leg of your run), sealed into their own Ziploc bags along with a Bounce dryer sheet to keep the odor down, two pairs of shoes in case it rains on one pair, warm clothes for in between your runs so you can be dry and warm, flip flops to rest your feet, safety vest, headlamp, butt light, a printed map of each leg you are running so you don't get lost, food to snack on throughout the 36 hours that will, hopefully, give you energy and not drag you down, nor make you pooh at an inconvenient moment!
Not to mention cell phone, car charger, earplugs, running watch, sunglasses, chapstick, aspirin, bandaids, paper towels, pillow, blanket, baby wipes, camera, a copy of every runner's name, cell phone number, their emergency contact person and their phone number, parts of our costume to wear as we all run across the finish line together. I'm sure I am forgetting something. I will go over the list and the actual stack of things 10 more times before I actually put it into my bag.
 I look at all my stuff and I imagine multiplying it by six runners per van, times two vans, and I am overwhelmed by the volume.  Where will it all go? Where will we go? Will we have any room to stretch out between runs? Will we get lost? Will anybody cry? What have we gotten ourselves into?
Running the actual relay race may be the easy part of all this!


No comments:

Post a Comment