Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cone of Shame

In a recent study, it was found that people check their cell phone every six minutes throughout the day. This adds up to a whopping 150 times per day!! Now, I know people who put that number to shame! Yes, I realize there is lots of good information that can come from our phones and the ability to be "connected" 24/7, but I fear we are losing sight of each other in the little screen. People joke about texting people sitting right at the same table rather than talking to them directly. I personally find texts frustrating and often confusing. What exactly did they mean by what was typed? Without voice inflection and eye contact, much is lost in translation. I tend to talk through situations and ideas. Texting these thoughts seems tedious and much gets left out in an effort to minimize the typed characters. While, "Get milk on your way home." is a good use of texting, "I am so mad at you." can lead to a long, drawn out, back and forth communication that leaves both people less than satisfied. Which would you rather have ~ a person looking at you and smiling or :-) on a screen???
Nothing beats face to face conversations, for that is how we humans truly connect.
If you'd like to discuss this, let me know...just not through a text!!

No comments:

Post a Comment