Sunday, October 6, 2013

Chapman 5K

Saturday morning, Amber, Emily and I faced gale force winds in Orange to run in the Chapman 5K. It was Emily's first and, as with anything new, she was nervous. Amber was not happy about the strong winds and it did prove to be a challenge, especially when you would turn down a street and suddenly be running straight into the wind. It made your throat so dry, you could barely swallow. The girls joked they felt like their throats were sandpaper, or they had breathed in asbestos!! HA! All I could think about was the memories we were making. While at the end, I said how much fun the race had been, the other two both said they were just glad it was over!! Given a little time to rest and regroup, I think they also felt accomplished and pleased with themselves, as they should.
Amber decided to run back after she had completed the race, find Emily and run to the finish line with her. What a thoughtful gesture that can make all the difference to a new runner. I love the photo of them coming in together!
Races are all different. Sometimes it's windy. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes you get a cramp. The trick is to remind yourself that you are out there, doing it, no matter what.
Making memories with people I love...lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment