Friday, July 8, 2016

Sad Truth/My Truth

I grew up in a world where we were taught respect for our elders. I met some adults who, clearly, didn’t seem to deserve my respect, but I was still taught to give it, if only in my silence. I grew up in a world where teachers were respected. If I brought a note home from the teacher, my parents first words were, “What did you do?!” Now, the first thing parents say is, “What did that teacher do?” I grew up in a world where police officers were respected. They were heroes, just like firemen. If we saw one in the coffee shop, we stopped and said hello. They seemed so big and brave and we respected them and the badge they wore. Today, we spew hate behind the safety of our computer screens. We judge the actions of police officers in a few stories that go viral. We read the headline only and write the whole story from there. Using our cell phones and computers we easily edit any situation to make it seem the way we want it to be seen.
Today, every group, every race, every faction, asks for our respect. Usually, it is demanded. Often, neither side wants to be the first one to grant that respect. It’s a “I’ll like you if you like me.” mentality. Our political correctness has reached such absurd levels, that, in trying to be so fair, so unbiased, so equal, we have actually isolated some groups for the sake of others. Where is the correctness of that? I am a white (not black) heterosexual (not gay) woman (not man) who works (not on welfare), lives in a home I pay for (not homeless). I am poorer than some and richer than others. All this makes me, what? An oddball? I don’t fall into any of the “hot topic” stereotypes. I am asked to accept, even embrace, every single person and all their differences, or risk being called racist, homophobe, heartless, godless and more.
Stop telling me I have to accept you. Act in a way that deserves that I accept you. Stop telling me I have to listen to your words. Act in a way that your actions make me want to hear more of your words. Stop telling me that life is not fair and you are oppressed. Act in a way that makes your life and the lives of others better and, therefore, less oppressed. Stop telling me you have to fight, protest and spew more hate to get your agenda heard. Act in a way that your attitude, passion and goodness make me want to be around you.
We have lost our people-ness. We have lost our people. We have lost…

7 comments:

  1. Very well said! (Debra Gemeinhardt)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you speak for many of us today! thank you for speaking from your heart and mind! the points you made are spot on. may your words speak to the minds and hearts of others and pray for change to come, sooner than later

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree ! So true ! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should put this on Facebook...it is very well said!

    ReplyDelete