Tuesday, August 25, 2015

What's on Your Table?

After doing two funeral/receptions last week, I got to thinking about what people bring me to set up on the memorial table. I always encourage people to do one as I feel it brings a great deal of comfort to those in attendance.
There has been a interesting array of items on these tables over the years. It has ranged from tchotchke stuffed birds, a tea set, a doctor lab coat, a picture they painted and more. Of course, photos are a very big part of what people display. Many choose to share old photos of the deceased when they were young, graduated from high school, their wedding day, a cruise they took. People love pouring over these photos and take a great deal of delight when they find that they are in one or two of them. I guess it proves that they mattered in the life of their loved one who is gone.
So, what would be on my table? My daughter (the minimalist) would roll her eyes. Me (the collector) wonders, out of all the things I have collected over the years, what would I like to display on a six foot table that would represent the best and biggest parts of my life? Photos, for sure. They are everywhere in my house. Thank God someone else will have to pick which ones. Hopefully, they will be a mix of professional and posed to silly and fun captured moments. I would want some of the handmade Christmas cards I have made every year to be on display. I have collected pigs for decades and some are special. At least one or two should make the table. I'd like the copies of my blog books to be there and later given to my grandchildren to read so they know how much they mattered to me. I'd like the binder that holds every running bib from every race I have ever run (65 and counting). 
Actually, I am not sure what else. Isn't it funny that I have a house stuffed with things and yet have a difficult time deciding what really matters in the end to represent ME?? Did the people who brought me these bags filled with trinkets and photos from their loved one have a hard time choosing? Did they labor over wondering if they were doing the person's memory justice? Did they have a conversation with their loved one prior to their death asking them what they wanted on their memory table? A memory table may not rank up there with end of life measures and finances, but it does matter! I have witnessed people shed tears and embrace each other as they pour over these tables. They find comfort and even joy, in these tables. They remember.
Years from now, when my grandkids are adults, they may come across a ceramic pig somewhere and pause and turn to the person they are with and say, "My grammie used to collect pigs. They were all over her house."
What more can we ask for than to be remembered?
So, what's on YOUR table?

No comments:

Post a Comment