Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Baby

Today, my baby is 29! I know every parent claims, "Where did the time go?!". The fact is, it just goes. We look up while we are busy covering our gray hair and find our kids are adults with their own lives. My son and I are much more alike than he would ever care to admit. Our shared road of life has not been without a few potholes. He has challenged me in ways his sister never did. At the time, these challenges seemed so difficult and hurtful, repair appeared almost impossible.
What changed for us, besides both of us growing up, is that we didn't attempt to dwell on the past hurts and just looked ahead. One cannot fix the past or take back words that were said. We can only go forward and attempt to figure out how to love ourselves and each other today. It isn't a lesson learned once, but one that is learned over and over each day. It is a worthwhile lesson.
Here is what's great about my son: He has a sense of humor that can make me laugh like no other. He is generous to a fault ~ offering help to others when he should be helping himself. He is a persuasive salesman (hmmm, wonder where that comes from?!). He is a survivor.
There's more, but, if he is reading this, by now he is rolling his eyes, so I'll stop.
Happy 30 minus 1, Tyler!

No comments:

Post a Comment