Thursday, May 5, 2016

Old/New Friends

 Running a race is a perfect excuse for travel. Last weekend, I ran the San Luis Obispo half marathon. Our high school friend, Michael, has lived up in Los Osos for a long time and we got to stay at his house and visit while we were there for the race. How do I describe Michael? He has this crusty, foul mouthed exterior with a heart of gold. He loves to grouse about life and all it's trials and challenges. He is one person I hold on a very small list that I could call, in the middle of the night, and say, "I need help!" He would ask where I was and be on his way. He is a loyal, true friend and has been for more decades than I care to count. We tease him that we have stood by him through a couple of wives and countless girlfriends, which brings me to the lovely lady in his life, Nicki. We had met her only briefly once before, but this weekend we had a chance to really get to know her. She is a gem! Smart, funny, kind and yet, takes no nonsense. She is perfect for Michael. She tends to see the good in most things and tries to help him see it too.
 We were fed like royalty while there, with Nicki and Michael preparing two amazing dinners for us. Saturday they made sure I was "carbo-loaded" for my race the next day and then Sunday, they barbequed steaks that were perfection. Sitting at home, sharing a meal with friends is far better than going to a restaurant. We laughed and talked and drank and ate the night away. I will cherish these memories for a long time.
Yes, we are older. Who knows if we are wiser, but we are smart enough to know the value of lasting friendship and love. Time goes by, sometimes too much time, but when we are together, we pick up where we left off.
What a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment