Monday, March 21, 2016

Setting Goals

Everyone talks about setting goals ~ losing weight, advancing at work, even relaxing more. We often fall short or stop thinking about the goals we set. We disappoint ourselves and fear disappointing others as well. Experts say, when setting goals, the path to success is to set smaller goals within the parameters of your bigger goal. Last year, I got the lofty idea in my head that I would like to run 65 half marathons by the time I reached my 65th birthday. For me, that is a lofty goal. It means absolutely nothing to anybody but me. I think, God willing, with no major injuries or health issues, I just may be able to achieve this goal. We will see. I am on number 32 and counting. It is still a long way off, which brings me to my smaller goal. I told myself that in the month of March, I wanted to run a 5K, a 10K, a 15K and a half marathon. As of yesterday, I am happy to report I achieved this goal!! Crossing that finish line yesterday, I felt such personal pride and was mentally patting myself on the back. Again, it means nothing to anybody but me, but it felt like such an accomplishment. Running has never come easy to me. It still doesn't, but when my body says, "No more!", my mind whispers, "Just a little farther, a few more steps." Step by step, block by block, mile by mile, I see the finish line in sight.
Running, like life, has good days and bad days. The trick is to just keep going forward, no matter what!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is an awesome dream come true! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete