Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I Am the Tortoise

It's an age old story and we all know it. The hare and the tortoise run a race. Of course, the hare is faster and should be the inevitable winner, but it is not to be. He was cocky and let the tortoise slowly, steadily cruise right past him.
I have often said I am the tortoise in my races, especially the half marathons. After so many, I know the value of pacing myself. I know what my body can do. I know if I play it smart and keep to my plan, I will finish. And, that, for me, IS the whole idea. I never want it to say DNF (did not finish)after my name in the race results. So far, so good.
Yes, I want to do well. I am only challenging myself, nobody else.  As I age, I will get slower. It is a fact of life for most runners. The mind is what tells the physical body what to physically accomplish. Before anything is done physically, it is previously enacted as a mental process. I see people running next to me in races that don't look anything like a runner. In fact, many are overweight and struggling, and, yet, at times, they are ahead of me in the pack. They have told themselves they will accomplish this and the body follows. They chose to be there and finish, no matter what. I say bravo to them!
As I get older, I realize more and more that celebrating the finish line is just as important as celebrating the finish time.

Cheers to many more finish lines!
Biggsuzi

No comments:

Post a Comment