Wednesday, June 4, 2014

National Running Day

Today, June 4th, is National Running Day. I wanted to participate in a run somewhere, but finding a run on a Wednesday is pretty tough. Thanks to social media and our many ways to connect with people and ideas both near and far, I made a commitment online to run today, five miles, right in my own neighborhood. Now, this may sound like pretty much any other run for me, but somehow, it feels a little different. The people in the cars passing me by most likely don't know today is National Running Day, but I do. I made a commitment to myself (the most important kind!) to be part of something greater than my normal weekday run. Today, I run with all the other people, in all parts of the city, the state, the nation and the world.
We run because it makes us feel good, both in body and spirit.
We run because it challenges us to test our limits and exceed them.
We run to clear out the cobwebs in our brain.
We run to celebrate this fragile thing we call life.
We run because we can.
A day like any other day, and yet, so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment