Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Project

 I have been wanting a succulent wreath for the front door for years. I see them every now and then and they are SO EXPENSIVE!!! My DIY self said I could make one, but never took the time to do so.  After a little research on the internet (what did we ever do without it?!), I figured I might give it a try. I already had a wire wreath frame. I went to Home Depot to buy sphagnum moss. The helpful man in the garden department knew just what it was even though I couldn't even pronounce it! I asked him why I needed this type of moss and he said it was because it retained water well (must be female!!) He suggested I soak it in a bowl or bucket. I also needed some fishing line which I pilfered from my husband's fishing pole. You aren't going fishing any time soon, are you honey?! I have no idea how it got tangled up!
 Succulents were easy to come by as I have a ton in the front yard. After making some cuttings and soaking my moss, I started packing it around the wire frame. After it looked pretty full, I took fishing time and wound it around and around to secure it to the frame. Sorry, I was so into it, I forgot to take a photo at this point in the project! I was somewhat unsure how it get the little plants to stay put, but I just pushed some through the moss and others I just placed around. After I was happy with the look, I took more fishing line and wrapped it through the plants trying hard for it not to show.
I am happy with the finished product, but am somewhat unsure that they will all remain in place if I hang it immediately. I have decided to leave it on a flat surface for a week or so to give the roots a chance to take hold within the moss.I am told it just needs sun and a spray bottle of water every now and them. One of the beauties of succulents is their low maintenance.  If it doesn't stay together when I go to hang it, I will leave it flat and place it on a patio table with a candle in the middle. Still pretty.
If anyone out there has made one and has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. This may have been my first succulent wreath, but I doubt it will be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment