Sunday, October 7, 2012

Spreading Joy


Last week was our daughter and son-in-law's anniversary. I decided to drive around town and buy them gift cards. Nothing unusual about that idea...except, every one I bought was for $9 because it was their ninth anniversary!
Asking to buy a gift card gets you no notice these days, until you ask for one for $9.00. I got many reactions from people: "May I ask why it is for $9?" "That's such a cool idea!" "How clever!" "I am going to copy this idea!" "Did you see that somewhere or think of it yourself?" My intent was to bring a little joy to two people I love and to honor their anniverary. What I discovered was, in a very unlikely way, I was bringing joy to other people as well. In some small way, they were happy to be part of the idea and it made all of them smile. I left each store with a smile on my face as well. The ripple effect of two people's anniversary gift, was spreading joy around. It made me realize how often we can spread a little joy in our daily life in small ways. But then again, maybe spreading joy is never small.

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! I love the way you tell the story, too! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete